Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Depths of my reason

The depths of my reason.I believe that I am a physical being. I believe this because my senses tell me that I am interacting with physical things. I touch the ground, the chair, a tree, my family. I am also eating, breathing, smelling, seeing, hearing. I smell my clothes warmed by the sun and feel the sun on my skin. The sun is real right? This is just one of many types of deep chains of thought that I will only wade into. I say wade because diving into them seems to be so dangerous. I recently had a conversation with someone who assured me that the consciousness resides within our brain. After I cited numerous articles on cellular memory and small muscle memory and organ implants that carried memories and emotions to the recipient, my friend proceeded to draw a line in the sand with a statement of “It can’t be because it’s just silly to think that way”. Well my friends it is something that has been observed in the medical community and by yours truly. I have also had similarly shallow discussions about dreams, the phenomenon of precognition and telepathy. The brain controls all our basis for reality and if it controls these things than does it also have some influence in what is real? One of my early masters stated that deep thought is wasted thought because it takes us away from the present moment and focuses us on God. “What does any of that have to do with God?” I said. “Everything and nothing –God is by definition unknowable, beyond contemplation and imagination and so are these deep thoughts.” He said. So was instructed to develop a foundation on that which I know and have experienced. That foundation is built in a spiral, up and up I have built over the years and when I have built my tower of knowledge Anyone will be able to enter at the bottom and climb on stable footing. I have to wonder if this is different from many of the deep contemplative teachings that we examine today. Aren’t we merely looking down into the tower of knowledge that was build over the last several thousand years? So I have been taught and I believe that when we dive off into deep layers of thought and begin to build a chain that carries us link by link further into the dark unknown the more dangerous it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment