Sunday, April 18, 2010

Trail rules

I love to explore a new trail. I really enjoy going somewhere I haven’t gone before and see new sights. I have learned over the years that each new place has its own set of trail rules. I think this enjoyment for exploration is deeply rooted in our human nature. We are all on our own path. We came into this world surrounded by people who love us, people who will learn to love us and people who will never know us. Unfortunately for almost all of us there will be far more of the latter than the former. As we walk the path of our life we are taught the trail rules. These are the subtle little nuances of life that keep us safe. These are the social graces, moral codes, public behaviors and rules of engagement that will shape us into who we will be as an adult and into the next life.
In the last 20 years or more I find that I run into folks who seem to be quite inept at learning and understanding the trail rules of a new region or a new culture. I have actually encountered a couple who were very upset at the waiter and manager of a restaurant that nothing on the menu was “American”. It was rather funny to me because I was in Mexico. And I have been even more amused at the beach when people who moments ago were feeding the sea gulls, were actually cursing at a life guard for allowing all the “damn-birds” at the beach. (Yep, if it eats, it craps.)
Trail rules make life much easier. Being comfortable is far easier when you understand your place in your immediate surroundings. When I am about to hike or paddle somewhere I haven’t been before I take a little time to acclimate myself to the possible dangers of the area, especially those that might cause me a false sense of confidence. Like when a river turns back on itself and has many branches that might cause me to get turned around, or when an area has snakes or plants that look very similar to the ones around my home but are in fact a very dangerous look alike. And I also take a moment to understand the beauty and uniqueness of my surroundings so I don’t miss that rare encounter with some creature that is very scared of people or that butterfly or flower that is found only in certain areas. Makes sense right.
Dinner parties, new jobs, large social gatherings are no less dangerous and have similar opportunities for discovery. They share many of the same pit falls. Look around yourself and take a mental poll. On an average day, how many people do you encounter that are just plowing their way through life? These poor souls miss out on so many awesome and rewarding experiences. They miss out on making friends; they miss out on expanding their understanding of the world. And they miss out on being truly comfortable with people, places and cultures. Mostly they fail to realize that in many ways most of the trails we travel through life are very similar. The more you experience the broader your awareness of these similarities becomes. And you are less likely to be eaten by alligators.

Make every path extraordinary.

No comments:

Post a Comment