Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Fading Footprints















I would like to open this blog with a description of things to come. "----------------". There you go. Since I am not prophetic or omnicient I have no idea of whats coming. I do however have tales to tell. Here are some.
When I was little I liked to imagine that I was a giant. My foot print in the sand would be like a canyon to the tiny people I imagined. AS I got older I learned to track animals by their tracks and likewise I learned to track other people by there’s.
So when we were playing in a rocky creek last year and my daughter asked me why I made such a big deal about footprints, I was surprised. I took a deep breath and rambled on for a few minutes. I propelled text from trackers manuals, and anecdotes from my past and tidbits about survival until her wandering eyes and tight grin made me pause. I just wanted to know why you like them, she said.
SO I thought about it for a minute and then said “Footprints show us where things were and what happened just a few minutes ago. That is pretty cool to me.”
So as we looked at the wet footprints on the rocks around us. We saw some wet and dripping, some partial, some overlapping, we sat silently for a few minutes. Then she said the most awesome thing. “When the footprints dry up, what we did will be hidden and no one will know what just happened but us.”
As we pass through life collecting stuff, selling stuff, tossing stuff out, It’s nice to think that in some way it’s Ok. That part of our life is over. Sure we can retrace our steps. But gone is gone. All we can hope to do is make more footprints and hope that when they fade we are better off than when we made them.

Impermanence.

1 comment:

  1. What a great start to your blog...footprints, and when they're gone, all that we just did will be gone too.

    ReplyDelete