Friday, April 16, 2010

A little enlightenment


I have this little Buddha netsuke. It was carved out of ivory in about 1860. At that time in Japan things were under a lot of turmoil. The ruling Shogun was overthrown and an age of “richness and strength” became the goal of the country as they focused on modernization partnering in trade with the US and other strong countries. The culture of Japan was changing.
This little Buddha sits silently in meditation, expressing enlightened mindfulness. He reminds me simply of the life and philosophy of the Buddha nothing more.
But as I took this photo intending to write about what it represents to me, I realized the dynamic time that this little statue's maker lived in. During its transformation from whale tooth to this statue the artist was perhaps dealing with a life that would be changed with electricity, western suits, and perhaps more competition. The violent clash of cultures destined to mesh as all cultures must. Perhaps the artist had had to begin to carve more statues rather than utilitarian ornaments. Maybe of Christ as well to satisfy Religious changes that were now in full swing. Maybe the artist even thought about the interesting irony that he was sculpting the Buddha, the embodiment of compassion and respect for all living things out of the tooth from a whale that was brutally killed. All this is speculation on my part. As an artist I rarely think of things outside of my intended creation. I focus myopically on the tree I paint at that moment –bark, branch, leaf. As each stroke is applied I think of that stroke. My mind does not wander. This artist who carved such a wonderful representation of the immense statue at Pure Land Temple in Japan was probably well versed in the Way. It is far more probable that this statue was carved with thought of every stroke, every curve, and every cut.
Tuning out the turmoil of the world is difficult. Focusing on the moment at hand is not the way of the west, we multi-task, “faster, cheaper, easier” is the common motto.
But not for me, my world is in a state of turmoil. Our old shogun was recently removed. There is a new president urging the US to “embrace change, invest, lend a hand and hope”. Jobs are changing; our economy is in turmoil we are all looking at our world and our lives differently.
Artists work to represent the world around them, to help others see the world as they do.
So my thoughts come back to this little statue. I look at it to remind me of the focus and mindfulness of the Buddha. I try to keep my mind focused on the moment but often find that when I let my mind roam across possibility unhindered, I see the connection to all things. I am connected to this artist. We are all connected to all things, all beings through life, past present and future.
Rebirth does not ensure a new existence with new experiences, it only ensures that it life will continue to keep the circle turning.

Contemplate your circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment